Winter Storm Stella could bring up to two feet of snow in certain areas of the northeast, so it’s important to be prepared. Read on below for a checklist of important things to do, items to have in the home and a grocery list.
Let’s start off with a grocery store run, since the supermarkets will be more and more packed with people as the day goes on. Here’s a list of important items to pick up if you don’t already have them:
– Garbage Bags
– Toilet Paper
– Feminine Products (if applicable)
– Paper Towels, Plastic Utensils and Paper Goods like plates, bowls, etc.
– Three-Day Supply of Water per person in the home
– Cold and Headache Medications, along with your normal prescription drugs
– Flashlights in case of power outtages
– Candles and matches or lighters to light them with
– Canned foods that are non-perishable
– Non-electric can opener
– Pet Food if you have a pet
– Back up Phone Charger
– Dry Cereal
– First Aid Kit
– Laundry Detergent
– Dishwashing Detergent
– Fire wood if you have a fire place
– Rock Salt for outside walkways
– Snow Shovel
Here is a list of things to do to make sure your home is ready for a blizzard:
– Make sure all windows and doors are secure and shut
– Keep the refrigerator at the lowest temperature in case of power outages
– Make contact and secure a snow plow for your drive way if applicable
– Have adequate amount of blankets and clothing for warmth
– Keep animals and pets inside during the storm, so things like wee wee pads for dogs are important.
– Stay updated with blizzard warnings and news on your phone, television or computer. Battery-powered radios are also good in case the power goes out.
– Make sure you have supplies for cleaning off your vehicles. Extra fuel is always a good idea as well.
– Some may think about shutting off their water valves to prevent bursting pipes from the cold.
– Be sure to have a fire extinguisher in the home.
If you are going outside in this weather, below is a list of your risks:
– Frost Bite
– Overexertion, when doing things like snow shoveling. Beware of the signs of heart attacks.
– Pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses
Discuss on Facebook