Figuring out how to keep your camera charged can be tricky. That said, there is one simple truth: the manufacturer makes the most expensive batteries. Camera batteries are almost identical to cars in this sense. Sure, the manufacturer makes the BEST version, but who makes the version with the best value? The answer is these guys. Note: these batteries are not universally compatible so we have divided them by different camera models.
Depending on your budget and needs, buying a third-party battery could be the right decision for you. Just be sure to check and double check the specific battery requirements for your camera before purchasing.
Here are our top 5 best batteries for different models.
1. For Canon 5DMK3 and 4, 6D, 80D and more
These WasabiPower batteries are compatible with a huge array of Canon cameras:
Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EOS 5D Mark III. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, 5DS and 5DR
Canon EOS 6D
Canon EOS 7D, and Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Canon EOS 60D, Canon EOS 60Da
Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 80D
The pack includes two batteries and users say that while they do get less charge than a standard Canon battery pack, the fact is that they also are considerably cheaper. The dual charger also allows for both batteries to be charged at once.
- Includes two batteries at low cost
- Great build quality
- Described as the best batteries for the money
- Dual charger allows both batteries to be charged at once
- They boast a lot of bang for the buck, but they do hold less than the real Canon batteries
- Some users had issues with longevity
2. For Sony a7, a7R, a7S, a6000 and more
These Sony NP-FW50 are compatible with a huge number of Sony cameras.
a7, a7 II, a7R, a7RII, a7S, a7S II
a5000, a5100, a6000, a6300, a6500
Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III and more
Each battery includes a generous three year warranty and is fully compatible with the Sony charger. The kit also includes a car charger. With a low price and a lot of bang for one’s buck, WasabiPower is the dominant player in the aftermarket battery game for a reason.
- Each battery includes a three year manufacturer’s warranty
- Batteries are fully compatible with original Sony charger
- Includes car charger
- Low price compared to manufacturer’s batteries
- Batteries lack a real time read out
- Build quality is a bit on the cheap side
- Batteries don’t hold charge if left unused
3. For Canon T3, T5, T6 and more
If you have a smaller Canon DSLR, these are likely the batteries for you. They’re compatible with the following models:
EOS Rebel T1, T3, T5, and T6
Kiss X50, X70
EOS 1100D, EOS 1200D, EOS 1300D
At this price, these cameras offer a great bargain. Users are consistently impressed by their long life, affordable price, and short charge time.
- Praised as on-par with Canon batteries
- Batteries fully charge in under an hour and a half
- Affordable price
- Many users impressed by long life
- One user had an issue with the charged indicator of the batteries
- One user had an issue with a battery lasting a very short time
4. For Nikon D3100, D3200, D3300, D3400, D5100, D5200, D5300, D5500,
These EcoEfficiency batteries are compatible with a large number of Nikon models including:
Nikon D3100, D3200, D3300, D3400
D5100, D5200, D5300, D5500
Coolpix P7000, P7100, P7700, P7800
Users love these batteries from EcoEffiency that are praised as being great for video shoots and a variety of charging options. Many, in fact, say that they are comparable to normal Nikon batteries in terms of charge duration. They also include some international power adapters for use in different nations.
- Praised as equal to normal Nikon batteries
- Many users satisfied with charging options (includes car charger)
- Includes adapter for international use
- Praised as great for video shoots
- Some cameras rejected these batteries
- One user got a bad battery
5. For Nikon 1 V1, D7100, D750, D7000, D7200, D810, D610, D800, D600, D800e, D810a
Ravpower’s batteries are compatible with the following Nikon models:
Nikon 1 V1
D7100, D750, D7000, D7200
D810, D800, D600, D800e, D810a
With a charge that’s almost as good as the Nikon originals, these Ravpower batteries include a car charger and the ability to charge both batteries at once. Praised by users as having great battery life, and for their included USB charger.
- Hold charge almost as well as Nikon batteries
- Low price
- Batteries work in camera or on vertical battery grip
- Includes car charger
- Able to charge two batteries at once
- Some users had compatibility issues
Still looking for the right camera batteries? Browse more top-rated camera batteries on Amazon.
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.
Discuss on Facebook