Many states have passed laws banning the use of cell phones and smartphones while driving. These “hands free” laws require drivers to keep their hands on the wheel, not on their phones. Today’s drivers have a couple of options if they want to talk on their phones while driving. You can opt for a Bluetooth headset or Bluetooth car kit. You might also find it helpful to invest in a hands free cell phone car mount. The right mount can keep your phone stable while driving, allowing you to use the speakerphone function or GPS function on your device without violating regulations. Read on to see five of the best cell phone car mounts on the market today.
1. TomTom Incorporated Hands-Free Car Kit For Smartphones
This universal smartphone car kit lets you mount your phone and take Bluetooth calls while driving. An extendable mic clips to your sun visor, eliminating background noise and helping your voice to be heard. There are easy-to-reach answer and reject buttons on the car kit, making it easy to answer calls or ignore calls from unknown callers. The universal size mount allows you to fit almost any modern smartphone into the mount comfortably, and without mashing down on the side buttons. This mount lets you put your phone in horizontal or vertical orientation, and it can be mounted on the dashboard or the windshield.
Price: $49.89 (50 percent off MSRP)
- Loud speaker for calls or GPS voice directions
- Easy-reach answer and reject buttons
- Reduces noise/echo
- Somewhat expensive
- May not fit with your phone in a protective case
- Some users wish it could be louder
2. Liger Universal Magnetic Air Vent Mount
Looking for a compact mounting solution? This magnetic mount is a nice option for people who need to quickly swap their cell phone car mount from a work vehicle to a personal car. The simple clip-in, clip-off design ensures that this magnetic mount will work with nearly any phone or mini tablet. This mount works with many iPhone models, multiple Samsung Galaxy S models, and phones from LG, HTC, and Sony.
- Easy to rotate
- Compact design
- Can also support the weight of some mini tablets
- 9to5Mac reports that some magnetic accessories might interfere with iPhone 6 features
- Unlikely to work with phones in cases, unless case is metal
- Magnet may not feel secure enough for some people
3. iKross 3.5mm LED FM Transmitter Car Cigarette Socket Mount Holder Hands Free Car Kit
This 4-in-1 car mount lets you go hands free, holds your device, helps keep it charged, and even includes an FM transmitter. The arm is adjustable, and will fit any phone that measures between 58mm and 85mm. The voice calls can be heard through your car audio system, making it easy to turn the volume up if the call is a bit quiet and you need to hear it over road noise. This car kit includes the iKross FM transmitter holder, along with a EZOPower Apple Lightning to USB Sync & Charge cable.
Price: $24.95 (59 percent off MSRP)
- Rotates 360 degrees
- Adjustable angle
- LED display for FM channels
- Some drivers may prefer a more compact design
- More expensive than some other options on this list
Find more iKross 3.5mm LED FM Transmitter Car Cigarette Socket Mount Holder Hands Free Car Kit information and reviews here.
4. HQF Car Steering Wheel Cell Phone Holder Clip
Looking for a more creative solution to your smartphone mounting needs? This inexpensive mount wraps around your steering wheel, making it easy to see GPS directions or incoming calls as you drive around. It may not be the most elegant solution, but it does keep your phone close at hand, which is nice for shorter folks with short arms. The adjustable mount means this holder will fit any size steering wheel. It will work with most smartphones with 5.5-inch screens or smaller.
Price: $7.49 (25 percent off MSRP)
- Adjustable to fit most phones
- Adjustable to fit most steering wheels
- Easy to move from car to car
- Won’t fit phablets
- May not work with phones in cases
5. EnGive Car Mount for Apple iPhone 6
If you own an iPhone 6, a car mount is a great way to have your maps and notifications visible while you’re behind the wheel. The car mount from EnGive is easy to install, with the mount staying in place thanks to a suction cup with lock clip. It can only support the weight of the phone, however, and not the phone plus a bulky case.
Price: $9.98 (50 percent off MSRP)
- Easy to install
- Mounts securely
- Mount to dash or windshield
- Prevents you from fumbling around with your phone while driving
- Only fits the iPhone 6
- Limited color options
- Not a great accessory for those without their own cars
- May not work with phone in a bulky case
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.