The WWE Royal Rumble 2014 begins the official Road to Wrestlemania PPV tour. 30 gladiators will enter the ring one by one and fight to earn a shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania XXX. The eyes of the WWE Universe will be set on the ring as one man raises his hand in victory and points his finger at the Wrestlemania XXX sign, signifying his assent to glory. Who’s going to the promised land and who’s going to hit the arena floor?
Check out all the results below!
And here’s the Live Kickoff Show below!
Cody Rhodes and Goldust (c) vs. The New Age Outlaws (WWE Tag Team Championship)
Winners: The New WWE Tag Team Champions, The New Age Outlaws!
Best Moments/Highlights: Billy Gunn got a blind tag in to his boy Road Dogg. After Cody laid Road Dogg out, Billy Gunn snuck in and laid him out with his infamous Fameasser for the W.
Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt
Winner: Bray Wyatt!
Best Moments/Highlights: Daniel Bryan gave out his own brand of torture with a leg lock/curb stomp combination on Bray Wyatt early in the match. Wyatt came back with a running Senton splash to Bryan on the outside. Daniel Bryan also lent out some damage outside the ring when he sped off of the ring apron and hit a Tornado DDT on Bray Wyatt. When Daniel went for an outside dive, Bray caught him and hit his Sister Abigail finisher to the guard barrier. The finish of this war came when Bray hit Bryan with a 2nd Sister Abigail finisher in the ring.
Big Show vs. Brock Lesnar – “The Beast vs. “The Giant”
Winner: Brock Lesnar!
Best Moments/Highlights: Lesnar entered the ring and assaulted Big Show with a vicious ground and pound attack. Lesnar then took a chair from Paul Heyman and proceeded to slam it over Big Show’s back before the opening bell. After the bell officially rung, Lesnar got caught by a KO Punch from Big Show. Brock got the victory after catching Show with a surprise F5 only a few minutes into the match. Once the match came to an end, Lesnar punished him with more devastating chair shots. Lesnar even shoved a referee during his steel chair rampage.
Randy Orton (c) vs. John Cena (WWE World Heavyweight Championship)
Winner: Randy Orton retains the WWE World Heavyweight Championship!
Best Moments/Highlights: Randy Orton brought Cena back into the ring with a Suplex during the early portions of their championship contest. Both men used their usual repertoire against each other, but the ref got knocked down as Cena went for an Attitude Adjustment. Orton cracked Cena with one of his title belts while the ref was down. The ref eventually recovered. A near fall came when Cena actually hit Orton with the Attitude Adjustment. Orton hit an RKO afterwards but only got a two count. Both men used each other’s moves against each other as the match wore on. Orton hit an Attitude Adjustment and actually locked in an STF, while Cena hit Orton with his own RKO. The conclusion of the match came when the Wyatt Family interrupted the match. When the lights came back on, Orton came back with an RKO and won. The Wyatt Family then assaulted Cena.
Royal Rumble 2014 (Winner Earns a WWE World Heavyweight Championship Title Shot at Wrestlemania XXX)
Best Moments/Highlights: Two independent wrestling darlings started off the big main event – CM Punk and Seth Rollins (Tyler Black). Sandow became the first official elimination. Corporate Kane entered the match wearing his business attire and went straight for Punk. Kane got overzealous with his beatdown on Punk and soon found himself eliminated by his rival. NXT wrestler Alexnader Rusev made his WWE debut and had a great Rumble showing. Jack Swagger and Rusev had an international war in the middle of the match as the crown chanted “USA!” Multiple men had to take him out after all was said and done. Kofi had another Rumble highlight when he ran across the barricade and hopped back into the ring after being placed outside by an eliminated Rusev. Kofi had another amazing moment when he used Swagger’s boot to get back in the ring. Kevin Nash came out to the NWO theme song and shocked the live crowd with his entrance. Roman Reigns entered the ring and took out Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler and Kevin Nash with ease. The Shield teamed up and took out The Great Khali in a cool team-up moment. Goldust eliminated his brother Cody, but Goldust didn’t last long either when he got taken out by The Shield. A freshly recovered Sheamus came back from his injury and entered the Rumble! He beat The Shield down during the opening moments of his comeback to the WWE. El Torito entered the ring and gave a great performance. He even got Fandango out of the ring. Roman threw him on top of Fandango to eliminate him, though. Antonio Cesaro entered the Rumble and gave the Giant Swing to plenty of the superstars battling in the ring. Seth Rollins got the worst of it during an incredibly long Giant Swing from Cesaro. Luke Harper and Antonio Cesaro faced off in a cool reminder of their independent wrestling battles. JBL’s music hit and he made his entry into the Rumble for his official match debut. As JBL turned his back and gave his ring jacket, Roman Reigns gave from behind and flipped him over the rope. A battle of the Irish and Swedish wrestlers began when Sheamus and Cesaro exchanged fisticuffs. Batista came into the ring at #28. His victims included Eric Rowan, Ryback and Alberto Del Rio. Roman Reigns shocked the crowd when he took out his own two Shield partners. The final four were CM Punk, Roman Reigns, Batista and Sheamus. Kane re-entered and eliminated Punk in a fit of rage. He laid out Punk with a chokeslam through the Spanish announcer’s table. Roman Reigns eliminated Sheamus, which brought the final two men down to him and Batista. Reigns speared Batista, but then got thrown out of thew out of the ring. Batista is going to Wrestlemania 30 to face the WWE World Heavyweight Champion!
Match of the Night
Daniel Bryan vs. Bray Wyatt!
Best Non-Match Moments/Highlights
– Wrestling legends “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels, “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair and “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan provided some entertaining commentary on the evening’s proceedings.
– The Real Americans (Jack Swagger and Antonio Cesaro picked their Royal Rumble entry numbers backstage.
– Big Show was quite vulgar during his match with Brock Lesnar. Show dropped the S and B bomb on multiple occasions.
– The Shield got into a competitive squabble before the Rumble. Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose argued over numbers, but Seth Rollins made sure to get them back in unison.
– The 1st Wrestlemania 30 countdown commercial was shown. 70 days until the big show, folks!
– During the Orton/Cena match, the crowd entertained themselves and gave out a few awesome chants – “DANIEL BRYAN!,” “WE WANT ANGLE!,” “RANDY SAVAGE!,” “Y2J!,” “UNDERTAKER!,” “BORING!,” “THIS IS AWFUL!” and a “YES!” chant when Bray Wyatt laid out Cena.
– The New Age Outlaws gave en entertaining victory promo backstage.
– Several WWE superstars, including Batista, Rey Mysterio, Damien Sandow, The Usos etc. gave their reasons for trying to become the winner of the Royal Rumble.
– Kofi Kingston debuted some awesome looking new Joker-inspired tights.
– As soon as Fandango’s music hit during his Royal Rumble, the live crowd gave a roaring rendition of his theme song. The crowd continued to sing after his entry.
– The crowd passionately chanted for Daniel Bryan as the Rumble went on.
– The crowd mocked JBL after his quick elimination with “YOU STILL GOT IT!” chants.
– Ryback came out with some sweet new red and blue wrestling gear. The “GOLDBERG!” chants followed soon after he entered the ring.
– Alberto Del Rio made sure to sport some new silver trunks as he entered the Rumble.
– Batista sported some medium trunks and some MMA-esque sneakers for his entrance into the Rumble.
– The crowd voiced their displeasure when Daniel Bryan didn’t make his way into the Royal Rumble once all 30 participants entered. Rey Mysterio entered at #30 and got plenty of boos from the crowd. Mysterio’s elimination received some cheers from the pro-Daniel Bryan crowd.
– “NO!” chants could be heard throughout the arena as the final men fought tooth and nail near the Rumble’s finish. The crowd was none too pleased with Daniel Bryan’s non-appearance.
– Roman Reigns got one his first arena wide chants during the final moments of the Rumble.