Compact microwaves are a practical solution for anyone looking to save space without comprising convenience. When you buy a smaller microwave, you generally have to give up some extra bells and whistles. Additionally, you’ll have less interior room and power compared to an average microwave. These compact microwaves cater to college students and anyone with limited countertop space.
1. College Dorm Size Compact Microwave by Oster
As its name suggests, this compact microwave is geared towards dorm rooms. Features include a 0.7 cubic foot capacity and 700 watts of cooking power. There’s also a removable glass turntable for easy cleaning. A total of 10 power levels and multiple single-touch settings ensures you can efficiently reheat and cook a variety of foods as necessary.
- Ideal for college dorms
- Removable glass turntable
- Several power levels
- Some wish the cooking time was faster
- A bit small for larger plates
- Display can be hard to read
2. Westinghouse WCM660B Rotary Microwave Oven
This compact microwave oven is available in 0.6 and 0.9 cubic foot capacities. It also comes with a 9.5-inch turntable for added convenience. The simple design features dial controls with a variety of settings. There’s also a 30 minute timer that signals when the food is ready. The microwave comes in black and white, and has 600 watts of cooking power.
- Available in two capacities
- Simple dial controls
- 30 minute timer with signal
- A few mention it can tip or move when opening the door
- Relatively short power cord
- Time dial only has increments by the minute
3. Farberware Classic FMO07ABTBKA Microwave Oven
The Farberware Classic FMO07ABTBKA Microwave Oven offers a 0.7 cubic foot capacity and 700 watt cooking power. It’s also equipped with digital controls and an LED display, making it a modern addition to any dorm room or apartment. Choose to defrost food by weight or time, or use the memory settings for your favorites. Other highlights include express cooking, one-touch cooking functions, and the ability to add 30 seconds if needed.
- 700 watts
- Digital controls and LED display
- Includes memory settings
- Dark-colored interior can mask stains
- A few mention the carousel can get easily dislodged
- Some find the opening mechanism flimsy
4. Emerson MW9255B Microwave Oven
With 900 watts of cooking power and 0.9 cubic feet of interior space, the Emerson MW9255B Microwave Oven is a bit larger and more powerful than other compact microwaves. Highlights include 11 power levels and multiple pre-programmed settings. One-touch buttons for popular items such as pizza, popcorn, potatoes, dinner plates, and frozen vegetables add an element of convenience. The microwave also comes with a digital timer, LED display, and removable glass turntable.
- 900 watts
- Multiple power and pre-programmed settings
- Includes a digital timer and LED display
- Several mention the door requires quite a bit of effort to open
- Can’t see through door
- Relatively small buttons
5. Samsung MS11K3000AS Microwave Oven
If you have a bit more countertop space and don’t mind spending extra for more features and power than less expensive compact microwaves, consider the Samsung MS11K3000AS Microwave Oven. This microwave has a 1.1 cubic foot capacity along with an array of modern features. Examples include a child lock, deodorization, and healthy cooking setting. Vapor-sensing technology balances out the cooking time as needed. Distribution points help food cook evenly and quickly.
Price: $106.82 (29 percent off MSRP)
- Distribution points for fast, even cooking
- Vapor-sensing technology automatically adjusts cooking time
- Includes a child lock
- Door isn’t transparent
- Some wish the interior light was brighter
- A few mention an initial learning curve
6. Frigidaire FFCM0934LS Countertop Microwave
This Frigidaire microwave features a 0.9 cubic foot capacity and 900 watts of cooking power. Several settings are available to make cooking and reheating food easier. Some examples include settings for frozen veggies and frozen entrees, fish, meat, popcorn, and frozen pizza. There are also 10 cooking power levels. The glass turntable is large enough to accommodate bigger items.
Price: $89.99 (17 percent off MSRP)
- 900 watts
- Multiple cooking power levels
- Large glass turntable
- Exterior tends to show smudges
- Some find the button to open the door hard to push
- Tinted glass door makes it difficult to see inside
7. Hamilton Beach 0.7 cu. ft. Microwave Oven
This compact microwave has 700 watts of power along with a 0.7 cubic foot capacity. There are also 10 distinct power levels for optimal cooking results. Other features include several quick-set menu buttons along with child safe lockout buttons for added security. Its fun red exterior and affordable price tag makes this Hamilton Beach microwave a solid choice for any college student.
- 700 watts
- Child safe lockout buttons
- Bright red exterior
- Only available in one color
- A few mention it can tip forward when opening the door
- Front buttons require a fair amount of effort
8. Danby DMW7700BLDB Microwave Oven
The Danby DMW7700BLDB Microwave Oven has a 0.7 cubic foot capacity and 700 watts of cooking power. It’s also equipped with 10 power levels depending on your specific needs. You can also choose to cook by weight, speed defrost, or defrost by weight. Other features include a user-friendly LED clock and timer along with an automatic oven light.
Price: $51.00 (43 percent off MSRP)
- User-friendly LED clock and timer
- Several specialty programs
- Available in multiple colors
- Microwave can move when opening or closing the door
- Condensation tends to build up inside
- Door needs to be opened manually
9. Bella 900-Watt Microwave Oven
Its brightly colored exterior makes the Bella 900-Watt Microwave Oven a stylish addition to any college dorm. The microwave is also available in 0.7 cubic foot and 1.1 cubic foot sizes. Highlights include a modern chrome handle along with automatic defrost options by weight and time for precise results. There are also six one-touch cooking programs, including beverage, pizza, popcorn, and dinner plate settings.
- Comes in several sizes
- Modern chrome handle
- Multiple one-touch cooking programs
- Touchpad panel can scratch easily
- Oven may slide when opening door or pressing buttons
- Beeps several times to signal when the food is done
10. Panasonic NN-SD372S Countertop Microwave
If you’re tired of hot spots and food that cooks unevenly, consider this compact microwave. The Panasonic NN-SD372S features inverter technology for even cooking and rapid defrosting. With a 0.8 cubic foot capacity and 950 watts, this small microwave is powerful yet efficient. It also comes with a delay start and timer, quick minute, and one-touch auto cook.
- Inverter technology for even cooking
- 950 watts
- One-touch auto cook
- Can’t get 1-second increments with dial
- Exterior can show fingerprints
- Some mention the display can be hard to read
Heavy, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking to Amazon. Our product recommendations are guided solely by our editors. We have no relationship with manufacturers.