With Week 4 of the Alliance of American Football underway, the action opens with an interesting game between two teams who have made headlines. The San Diego Fleet and Memphis Express have grabbed attention for different reasons, but both teams will be worth watching as the season rolls on.
Last week, the Express provided one of the bigger in-game storylines. Memphis quarterback Christian Hackenberg struggled through the first two weeks and was benched at halftime of their Week 3 loss after another poor start. In turn, this meant Zach Mettenberger would take over under center, and impressed by completing 9-of-12 passes for 120 yards and two touchdowns. His play was nearly enough to knock off the undefeated Orlando Apollos, but they fell just short by a score of 21-17, moving to 0-3 on the year.
On the other side, San Diego impressed last game with a 31-11 victory over the San Antonio Commanders. They were led by running back Ja’Quan Gardner’s 122 rushing yards and one touchdown, as well as quarterback Philip Nelson’s two passing scores. The victory moved the Fleet to 2-1 on the year.
We’re going to keep tabs on the Fleet vs. Express matchup by evaluating the updated score and highlights throughout the game. Stats will also be provided, and they will be updated at halftime and then again after the game.
Updated Score & Highlights: San Diego Fleet vs. Memphis Express
San Diego With Early Punt Return Touchdown: 6-0
Dontez Ford With the Big Gainer for San Diego
Philip Nelson TD Pass Adds to San Diego Lead: 14-3
NEWS: Fleet QB Philip Nelson Leaves Game With Collarbone Injury
San Diego’s Alex Ross Throws 30-Yard TD Pass After Entering: 20-6
Zach Mettenberger Adds Rushing TD Just Before Half: 20-15
*Note: Via Bleacher Report Live
Philip Nelson Ruled out for Remainder of Game
Alex Ross Takes Big Hit
Express Force Key Fumble
Magee Hauls in TD From Mettenberger: 23-23
Express Get Late Strip Sack Leading to Game-Winning Field Goal
Final score: Memphis 26, San Diego 23
San Diego Fleet vs. Memphis Express Notable Final Stats
*All stats and box scores from No Extra Points and will be updated at halftime and then after the game.
- MEM: Zach Mettenberger – 18/25, 174 yards, two total touchdowns (one rushing)
- SD: Philip Nelson – 9/12, 110 yards, one touchdown
- SD: Alex Ross – 8/18, 80 yards, one touchdown, one interception
- MEM: Zac Stacy – 18 carries, 39 yards
- MEM: Sherman Badie – six carries, 12 yards
- SD: Ja’Quan Gardner – nine carries, six yards
- SD: Terrell Watson – 10 carries, 43 yards
Wide Receivers, Tight Ends & Running Backs (Receiving)
- MEM: Reece Horn – four receptions, 63 yards
- MEM: Alton “Pig” Howard – three catches, 39 yards
- MEM: Dontez Byrd – two catches, 20 yards
- MEM: Devin Lucien – three catches, 19 yards
- SD: Dontez Ford – three catches, 71 yards, one touchdown
- SD: Marcus Baugh – four catches, 54 yards, one touchdown
- SD: Gavin Escobar – four catches, 26 yards