Back in 2012, Arc System Works and Atlus Games got together to craft an exciting fighting game within the Shin Megami Tensei universe – Persona 4 Arena. Fans of the JRPG and hardcore fighting game fans got tied to the game’s tight mechanics, flashy anime visuals and in-depth story.
It is now 2014 and Arc System Works/Atlus Games have worked out the kinks from their previous work. A newly polished and feature-rich version of Persona 4 Arena is releasing – Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. This direct sequel comes with new characters, new stages, character balance tweaks and much more.
Here’s every important detail you’ll need to know about before you head into the arena for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax!
1. The Game’s Plot Continues With a New P-1 Climax Tournament; Some System Balances and Changes Have Been Implemented
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a direct continuation of the event depicted in the last game. The dreaded Midnight Channel pops up on the air once again. The commercial for the strange P-1 Climax tournament is shown once again, which displays members of the Investigation Team and the Shadow Operatives fighting in the middle of a giant ring. The game’s Story Mode will feature the same format seen in Persona 4 Arena – dialogue sequences between characters, anime cutscenes and playable fights that change the course of the overall plot.
The gameplay mechanics of this direct sequel have been altered and upgraded in several ways. These new system additions include:
• new auto combos for the returning characters
• new Persona card limits for each character
• Short-Hop’s can be cancelled into an attack with less startup time
• the debut of the S-Hold system – a special attack that changes properties the longer the A/X button is held down
• Evasive Actions can now be Guard Cancel Rolled
• certain characters have a Shadow-type
• Shadow Characters can use a powerful mode called Shadow Rampage
• various buffs and nerfs for the returning cast
• Golden Arena mode
2. A Host of Returning Characters Will Make Their Appearance
The returning roster of Persona 4 Arena will be heading back into the P-1 Climax. Check out the full list below to see who coming back:
• Yu Narukami
• Yosuke Hanamura
• Chie Satonaka
• Yukiko Amagi
• Kanji Tatsumi
• Naoto Shirogane
• Akihiko Sanada
• Mitsuru Kirijo
• Shadow Labrys
3. Several New Characters Will Be Making Their Fighting Game Debut
As for which characters will be making their debut in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, check out the full listing below:
• Yukari Takeba
• Junpei Iori
• Sho Minazuki
• Rise Kujikawa
• Ken Amada & Koromaru
• Tohru Adachi
4. Some Characters Will Be Provided to Players as Free DLC
Some of the newer characters that will be added to Persona 4 Arena Ultimax’s roster will be given as DLC. And even better is the fact that some of them will come as FREE DLC for just one week only. During the 1st week of the game’s release in North America, Tohru Adachi and Marie will be free to download. Once that week is up, both characters will revert to paid DLC. Margaret will appear as paid DLC a week after the game’s North American launch.
5. An Exclusive PS3/PS4 Arcade Stick Based on the Game Will Be Available Soon
Mad Catz will help commemorate the release of this game with an exclsuive arcade stick for the PS3/PS4. This game-themed “TE2” stick currently has no release date, but it’s expected to be released in Japan and the U.S.