San Francisco Giants Announce Marcelo Mayer Decision Before Red Sox Series

New York Yankees v Boston Red Sox
Getty
BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS - JUNE 25: Marcelo Mayer #11 of the Boston Red Sox reacts after striking out to end the fourth inning against the New York Yankees at Fenway Park on June 25, 2026 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Brian Fluharty/Getty Images)

The San Francisco Giants will start a three-game series against the Boston Red Sox on Friday at Fenway Park.

First baseman/designated hitter Rafael Devers will start his first game against his former team since the Red Sox traded him to the Giants in June of last year.

Devers addressed his return to Boston ahead of Friday’s game.

Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area reported: “Rafael Devers met with a large group of reporters in Boston, said he’s not sure what kind of reception he’ll get tonight. He did the whole thing through interpreter Erwin Higueros except when asked if he has any regrets. ‘No,’ he said right away.”

The now Giant will bat second and be the designated hitter in the series opener. Devers is not the only former Red Sox player in the Giants organization.

Giants Announce Marcelo Mayer Decision Ahead of Red Sox Series

After Marcelo Mayer missed Thursday’s Triple-A Sacramento game, there was speculation that the infielder would join the Giants for their weekend series against the Red Sox.

It would not only mark Mayer’s first return to Fenway Park, but his MLB debut with San Francisco.

But Pavlovic reported, “Marcelo Mayer has been sidelined by a right foot bone bruise from a prior injury. He was sore while playing in Triple-A, so he’ll rest this weekend and then get reevaluated when the Giants return home. That’s why he didn’t end up back in Boston.”

Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle also reported, “Tony Vitello has Marcelo Mayer has some foot soreness. Unclear when he will be in action for the Giants but the hope is soon.”

This Post was deleted by the Post author. Learn more

The Giants acquired the once highly-touted prospect ahead of this year’s MLB trade deadline. San Francisco sent left-handed reliever Erik Miller and minor leaguer Carlos Gutirriez to Boston in the deal.

Marcelo Mayer of the Boston Red Sox

GettyNew San Francisco Giants shortstop Marcelo Mayer will not play against his former team, the Boston Red Sox, after being sidelined with a right foot bone bruise.

Marcelo Mayer With the Giants

San Francisco sent the 23-year-old down to Triple-A Sacramento for a rehab assignment. Mayer is currently on the 10-day injured list with a bone stress reaction in his left forearm.

The No. 4 draft pick in the 2023 MLB Draft has played in 4 games with the Rivercats thus far. He has recorded 6 hits in 17 at-bats and has a 1.009 OPS.

He hit his first home run in his second at-bat with the Giants organization.

San Francisco Giants v Cleveland Guardians

GettyCLEVELAND, OHIO – AUGUST 20: Manager Tony Vitello #23 of the San Francisco Giants talks with first base umpire Rob Drake during the third inning against the Cleveland Guardians at Progressive Field on August 20, 2026 in Cleveland, Ohio. (Photo by Nick Cammett/Getty Images)

San Francisco Giants Right Now

The Giants lost 5-2 in their series finale against the Cleveland Guardians. It marked their sixth consecutive series loss.

San Francisco holds a 52-75 record. They currently own the second-worst record in the National League and fourth-worst overall.

They are 3-7 in their last 10 games.

0 Comments

San Francisco Giants Announce Marcelo Mayer Decision Before Red Sox Series

Notify of
0 Comments
Follow this thread
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please commentx
()
x