There’s always one thing for certain when it comes to the world of basketball: one video game simulation reigns supreme. Developer Visual Concepts and publisher 2K Games is back at it again with the release of NBA 2K17.
A few of the NBA’s greatest players adorn the cover of this latest edition of the game: Paul George (Regular Edition), Kobe Bryant (Legend Edition), Danilo Gallinari (Italy) and Pau Gasol (Spain). These standout athletes represent a new annual release that’s striving to maintain its franchises’ greatness. Improvements and changes are coming to longtime modes, new teams will be introduced, MyCareer features an A-list Hollywood actor and the soundtrack features 50 great tunes. We’ll be delving into those great bullet points more and a host of other facts pertaining to such a revered series entry.
Join us as we break down the best parts of NBA 2K17 and the best ways to get your hands on a copy.
1. Various Changes are Coming to MyGM and MyLeague
Tow of NBA 2K’s biggest modes will be receiving a number of welcome changes. MyTeam is also making its return to the 18th installment within the NBA 2K series. Those aren’t the only revisions making their way into NBA 2K17, however: several overall gameplay adjustments are being made in order to improve this year’s edition of digital B-Ball action. Game Informer listed a few of the biggest improvements each mode will feature, which can be read in the lists posted below:
1. MyGM brings league expansion into the fold this year, with capacity for 36 teams.
2. This year introduces some new trade wrinkles, including the ability to trade players at any time during the offseason, pick protections, and pick swaps. The pick protection essentially lets you protect your rights for a traded pick if it ends up in the lottery, a tactic many NBA teams use.
3. 2K says it has improved the trade rumors in social media, including subterfuge. Don’t believe everything you read.
4. New team control options let you add or remove users and swap which teams you control at any point during MyGM.
5. The new scouting logic is better at identifying where you are projected to draft and which positions are team needs. It then uses that information to target and scout players that are ideal fits at that point in the draft.
6. A frequent fan request – jersey retirements – are now in MyGM mode.
1. MyLeague Online is being expanded in its second year. Now you and friends can play through 80 seasons.
2. Rather than emulate the NBA draft and free agency (which is hard to do when you are trying to schedule an event with multiple people), MyLeague introduces the concept of “keepers.”
3. Each player has a designated number of keeper years for which he’s eligible to stay on your roster.
4. The admin can customize how many players each team can keep at the end of a season.
5. Injuries are added this year.
6. MyLeagues can begin with anywhere from 30 to 36 teams, and admins can add new teams during any offseason.
One more special aspect of this year’s rendition is the developer’s focus on improving the feel of arenas. The dev team made sure to visit each of the official 30 NBA arenas and record the different types of real-time audio heard within. For example, this means crowd reactions will change depending on where and how you’re playing. Arena specific chants and sound effects will also be featured. When it comes to who’ll be commentating, Kevin Harlan and Greg Anthony will be handling those duties alongside guests such as Chris Webber, Brent Barry, Steve Smith and Doris Burke. Check out the video posted above to get an inside look at how these arenas are getting improved.
2. MyCareer Mode Debuts a New Storyline That Features Michael B. Jordan
Spike Lee took us into some of the darker elements of becoming an NBA star in last year’s rendition of MyCareer mode. This time around, your personal journey through the rough and tumble world of professional basketball will focus on your custom character and his most trusted teammate. This secondary player has been dubbed as Justice Young, who’ll be played and voiced by actor Michael B. Jordan. Both you and Young will form a popular NBA duo nicknamed “Orange Juice.” MyCareer mode will once again entrust you with making major decisions about your career, plus you’ll need to build up your on-court chemistry with Young and directly control him on the court.
If you’re looking to get a head start with your MyCareer player, a special DLC experience will allow you to do so. Starting on September 9 everyone will get the chance to download “The Prelude,” a special playable piece of DLC that lets you build up your custom player earlier. You’ll also get the chance to truly feature yourself in the game through the My NBA 2K17 app’s facial scan feature. This DLC feature can be played via the PS4/PS3 (PlayStation Network) and Xbox One/Xbox 360 (Xbox Live). This mode can be played right up until the game’s official launch on September 20. Check out the trailer posted above to see what else The Prelude entails.
3. Several Classic and 2016-2017 Euroleague Basketball Teams Will Join the Roster
Along with the most updated NBA 2016-2017 team lineup, NBA 2K17 will fill out its massive roster with two classic teams and several Euroleague units. This year, we’ll all get to dominate with two special Olympic squads and Australia’s best players: the 1992 US Men’s Olympic team, the 2016 US Men’s Olympic team and the Australian Men’s National team.
If you’re more inclined to utilize the game’s many Euroleague teams, you can refer to the full list of each featured club below:
– ALBA Berlin
– Anadolu Efes Istanbul
– Brose Bamberg
– Crvena Zvezda mts Belgrade
– CSKA Moscow
– Darussafaka Dogus Istanbul
– EA7 Emporio Armani Milan
– FC Barcelona Lassa
– FC Bayern Munich
– Fenerbahce Istanbul
– Galatasaray Odeabank Istanbul
– Laboral Kutxa Vitoria Gasteiz
– Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv
– Olympiacos Piraeus
– Panathinaikos Superfoods Athens
– Ratiopharm Ulm
– Real Madrid
– Unicaja Malaga
– Unics Kazan
– Valencia Basket
– Zalgiris Kaunas
4. The Soundtrack Features a Total of 50 Songs
As always, sports sims feature tons of great artists and their biggest hits via their in-game soundtrack. NBA 2K17 follows suit by throwing in a collection of 50 tracks that are picked from various musical genres. Some of the popular artists who you’ll hear during your time with the game includes Drake, Party Next Door, Jay-Z, Skepta, Imagine Dragons and so much more. You can listen to a few seconds of each track in the video posted above, plus you can check out the entire soundtrack listing below:
– Party Next Door feat. Drake: “Come and See Me”
– Drake: “Hype”
– Drake: “Pop Style”
– Majid Jordan: “Every Step Every Way”
– Jay Z: “Heart of the City (Ain’t No Love)”
– Skepta: “Shutdown”
– ILoveMakonnen feat. Drake: “Tuesday”
– Future: “Ain’t No Time”
– Action Bronson: “Actin’ Crazy”
– Stokeswood: “Forget”
– Nico Vega: “Beast”
– The Moth & The Flame: “Red Flag”
– Imagine Dragons: “Friction”
– Tor Miller: “Carter & Cash”
– Tigertown: “Lonely Cities”
– Grimes: “Kill v. Maim”
– Chairlift: “Romeo”
– Now, Now: “Thread”
– Lizzo Caroline Smith: “Let ‘Em Say”
– Santigold: “Creator”
– OutKast: “Rosa Parks”
– The Internet: “Special Affair”
– Dougie feat. Pitbull and 40 Cobras: “On Purpose”
– G-Easy x Bebe Rexha: “Me, Myself and I”
– Jamie XX: “I Know There’s Gonna Be (Good Times)”
– Diddy: “Workin”
– Sam Sparro: “21st Century Life”
– SBTRKT: “Wildfire”
– Kiiara: “Gold”
– Alison Wonderland: “I Want U”
– Marcus Marr & Chet Faker: “Learning For Your Love”
– CRO: “Melodie”
– Jain: “Come”
– Sofi de la Torre: “London x Paris”
– Ghemon: “Adesso sono qui”
– Yuksek Juveniles: “Truth”
– Lil’ Kleine feat. Ronnie Flex: “Bel Me Op”
– The 1975: “The Sound”
– Kali Uchis: “Ridin Round”
5. There’s Three Different Editions of NBA 2K17
NBA 2K17 comes in three different editions. The “Early Tip-Off” Edition lets players officially hop onto the court early starting on September 16. On top of that cool bonus, you’ll get a some additional DLC items. Those items include three MyTeam bundle packs (which comes with a Paul George free agent card), 5,000 points of VC (Virtual Currency) and two more additional pieces of DLC that’ll be announced at a later date.
Recently retired NBA legend Kobe Bryant is being honored with two different editions of the game. The regular Legend Edition comes with three MyTeam bundle packs (which comes with a Kobe Bryant free agent card), 30,000 points of VC, in-game Kobe gear (Kobe’s official #8 Mitchell & Ness jersey, his hoodie and his XL sneakers), a physical Kobe poster, two physical Panini Kobe trading cards, one “Black Mamba” controller skin and some unannounced digital items.
As for the Gold Legends Edition, this upgraded package will gift players with five MyTeam bundle packs (which comes with a Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan free agent card), 100,000 points of VC, in-game Kobe gear (Kobe’s official #8 Mitchell & Ness jersey, his hoodie and 24 pairs of Kobe’s Nike sneakers), a physical Kobe poster, a lenticular cover insert and two physical Panini Kobe trading cards, one “Black Mamba” controller skin and some unannounced digital items. Both of these editions come with the aforementioned Early Access period of the game for its recipients.