Super Mario Run, the latest Mario platformer and the first to be released on Apple devices, is now available. But it’s somewhat costly for such a short game, as the first three levels are free but the full app requires a $10 purchase. Is there any way to play it on a second device, maybe even sharing it with loved ones? Or are you stuck playing the game on the device where the purchase was made?
With Super Mario Run, Apple does allow you to download the paid version of the app on a second or third device. If you bought the game on an iPhone but want to play it on an iPad, then, you will be able to do so. But the process is a little confusing, as you technically buy the game from within the app itself rather than from the App Store.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Before getting started, make sure you know what your Apple ID and password is. If you’re not sure, you can find out by going to Settings on the home screen and choosing iTunes & App Store; you’ll see your Apple ID at the top of the screen.
- Now, download Super Mario Run on your first device.
- Link the game to your Nintendo online account. (If you don’t have an account, create one here.) You’ll be asked to link at the very start of the game, but if you already skipped that, go to the main menu and hit the bubble in the top right corner of the screen above the gift box. Then, follow the instructions to link your account.
- Purchase the full game. This must be done in the Super Mario Run app itself; the first three levels are free, but at any time you can buy the entire game by going to “Tour” and then hitting the button that says “Purchase Screen.” From there, hit the green button that says “$9.99,” and then hit “buy.” You now own the game and have it linked to your Nintendo account.
- Download Super Mario Run on your second device.
- From the home screen, go to “Settings.”
- Go to “iTunes & App Store.”
- Tap on the Apple ID section. Then, sign in with the same Apple ID that you were logged into when you purchased Super Mario Run.
- Download Super Mario Run from the App Store.
- Open the app and link your Nintendo account again.
- You’re not yet done, because all you have downloaded right now is the free version of the game. Next, go back to the “Purchase Screen” where you bought the game earlier.
- The same green “$9.99” button is going to be there. Select that, enter your password, and hit confirm. You will not be charged.
- Instead, the app will now recognize that you have already purchased this item and will ask if you would like to download it a second time.
And that’s it! You should now have the full version of Super Mario Run downloaded on your second device. If you receive a message saying that “only paid purchases can be claimed with an original account,” you probably aren’t signed in with the same Apple ID that you originally used to purchase the game.
Using this method is rather helpful if, for example, you downloaded Super Mario Run on an iPad originally but now would prefer to play it on an iPhone. Parents can also buy the game once and then download it on their kids’ devices rather than purchasing it multiple times for each child.
Super Mario Run is very much a traditional Mario platformer, made with the same art style as the New Super Mario Bros. series. But this time around, Mario runs automatically, so all players have to do is tap the screen to make him jump. Mario even jumps automatically over enemies, eliminating a lot of potential challenges.
The game consists of six worlds, each with four levels, and the World Tour mode can easily be completed in one sitting. In addition to that, though, there’s also a mode called Toad Rally, a competitive game where you try to collect more coins and perform more stylish moves than your opponent. Replay value also comes from trying to collect all of the coins on each stage.
Super Mario Run is now available for iOS devices. It is not expected to be released on Android devices until 2017.
Nintendo's 1st major mobile game places Mario in the Mushroom Kingdom for some endless hopping and bopping. Use this tips guide to master the game.Click here to read more