Middleweight contenders meet at UFC 130
UFC officials announced the bout. HeavyMMA.com first reported the bout two weeks ago.
Santiago was the reigning Sengoku middleweight champion, but was granted his release from the floundering Japanese promotion earlier this month. He inked his contract with the UFC last week.
Stann originally wanted to face Wanderlei Silva, but Silva repeatedly turned down the fight. “The Axe Murderer” said he didn’t want to face a guy who was an American Hero, feeling that he would be the bad guy in the potential bout.
Santiago last competed in August, defending his Sengoku middleweight belt against Kazuo Misaki. He last appeared in the UFC in 2006, going 1-2 before being cut after a loss to Alan Belcher.
UFC 130 includes:
– Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (lightweight title)
– Matt Hamill vs. Rampage Jackson
– Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson
– Travis Browne vs. Stefan Struve
– Jorge Santiago vs. Brian Stann
– Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story
– Miguel Torres vs. Brad Pickett