Seahawks Announce Final Jake Bobo Decision After ‘Serious’ Knee Injury

Arizona Cardinals v Seattle Seahawks
Getty
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON - NOVEMBER 24: Jake Bobo #19 of the Seattle Seahawks looks on against the Arizona Cardinals at Lumen Field on November 24, 2024 in Seattle, Washington. (Photo by Steph Chambers/Getty Images)

The Seattle Seahawks have made Jake Bobo’s fate for the 2026 season official.

Seattle placed Bobo on injured reserve Saturday, August 22, one day after the receiver suffered a significant knee injury during a joint practice with the Tennessee Titans. The move confirms Bobo will miss the entire 2026 season.

It is the outcome head coach Mike Macdonald feared immediately after Friday’s practice, but stopped short of confirming before Bobo underwent additional evaluation.

“Our heart goes out to Jake Bobo, it seems like it’s going to be a serious knee,” Macdonald said Friday. “We’re going to get it imaged, but early returns, it looks like it’s a long-term injury. That’s unfortunate.”

Less than 24 hours later, Seattle’s roster transaction provided the definitive answer.


Jake Bobo’s Season Ends After Seahawks’ Offseason Commitment

Bobo was injured while attempting to make a leaping catch near the sideline during Seattle’s joint practice in Nashville. He was unable to continue, and Macdonald’s comments afterward immediately raised concern that the fourth-year receiver could be facing an extended absence.

Saturday’s move removes any remaining uncertainty about 2026.

It is a particularly difficult development after Seattle made a significant financial commitment to keeping Bobo this offseason.

The Jacksonville Jaguars signed Bobo to a two-year, $5.5 million restricted free-agent offer sheet in March, including $4.5 million guaranteed. Rather than let him leave, the Seahawks matched the offer. According to The News Tribune’s Gregg Bell, the deal also included a $1.75 million signing bonus and can reach $7 million through incentives and bonuses.

That decision illustrated Bobo’s value to Seattle even though his traditional receiving numbers have been modest.

The former undrafted free agent has 34 catches for 323 yards and three touchdowns in 45 regular-season games since joining the Seahawks in 2023. His role has extended beyond catching passes, with Bobo contributing as a blocker and on special teams. He also made an impact during Seattle’s championship run last season.

Now the Seahawks will have to replace that role before the regular season even begins.


Seahawks’ WR Depth Takes Another Hit

Bobo’s injury becomes more significant because Seattle is already dealing with uncertainty elsewhere in the receiver room.

Macdonald said Friday that second-year receiver Tory Horton is going to be out “for a period of time,” though the team has not disclosed the reason for his absence or provided a firm return timetable. Horton also missed Seattle’s joint practice with Tennessee.

That leaves less established depth behind a receiver group led by Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Cooper Kupp and Rashid Shaheed as the Seahawks move toward the regular season.

Seattle used Bobo’s vacant roster spot to bring back Julian Hicks, whom the team had signed only days earlier.

Hicks originally joined Seattle on Monday, August 17, after previously spending time with the Green Bay Packers. The Seahawks then waived him Wednesday when they needed a roster spot to sign former All-Pro cornerback Trevon Diggs.

Three days later, Hicks is back because of Bobo’s injury.

Hicks’ return gives Seattle another body at receiver, but it does not replace what the Seahawks expected to get from Bobo.

Only five months after committing millions to keep him away from Jacksonville, Seattle now knows Bobo will not play another snap until at least 2027.

0 Comments

Seahawks Announce Final Jake Bobo Decision After ‘Serious’ Knee Injury

Notify of
0 Comments
Follow this thread
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please commentx
()
x