SMU Mustangs 30-29 — 59
UCLA Bruins 34-26 — 60
UCLA pulled off a 60-59 upset over No. 6 seed SMU with the help of a controversial call on Thursday.
The Mustangs were called for goaltending on a Bryce Alford 3-point attempt with 13 seconds left.
Alford missed, but the SMU defender hit the ball as it was still in the cylinder and the referees awarded the basket to UCLA.
Alford hit 9 of 11 3s and scored 27 points for the 11th-seeded Bruins, who advance to face No. 14 UAB for a shot at the Sweet 16 on Saturday.
Nic Moore scored 24 points for SMU. He missed a 3-point attempt with 4 seconds left.
See the game-clinching goaltend below:
For a complete boxscore, click here.
Live Game Updates
– SMU used a 19-0 run to take a 9-point lead with under 5 minutes left
– At the official timeout with just under 8 minutes left, UCLA had 15 turnovers, SMU 8
– SMU was just 1 for 11 from the floor in the second half’s first 8 minutes
– UCLA shot 12 for 25 (48 percent), while SMU was 10 for 29 (34.5)
– The Bruins were 5 of 10 on 3s, the Mustangs 4 of 7
– UCLA had 8 turnovers and 8 fouls, SMU 4 and 7
– Both teams had 17 rebounds
Nic Moore – 24 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists
Markus Kennedy – 16 points, 9 rebounds
Bryce Alford – 27 points, 9 of 11 3-pointers
Norman Powell – 19 points, 6 rebounds
Preview: SMU Enters the NCAA Tournament Surging
Larry Brown’s SMU Mustangs enter Thursday’s NCAA Tournament game against the UCLA Bruins on a roll, winning 17 of 19 and the American Conference Tournament.
UCLA, on the other hand, isn’t playing its best, winning 4 of its past 7.
It’s the Mustangs first NCAA visit since 1993, while the Bruins are making their third consecutive appearance.
Keep it here for live updates throughout the game.