Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke scored an excellent free kick off the post to earn his team a 3-3 draw against Queens Park Rangers on Tuesday night. In the 85th minute, Benteke beat QPR goalie Robert Green.
The goal finished off a fine afternoon for the 24-year-old Belgian, who fired a hat trick in a crucial relegation matchup. Here is what the bottom of the table looks after tonight’s match.
15. Sunderland 29 points (31 games played)
16. Aston Villa 29 points (32 games played)
17. Hull 28 points (31 games played)
18. QPR 26 points (32 games played)
19. Burnley 26 points (31 games played)
20. Leicester 22 points (30 games played)
Queens Park Rangers took a 3-2 lead just six minutes earlier on a goal from Charlie Austin, but Benteke had the final say.
Benteke had 19 Premier League goals in 34 matches in 2012-2013, but had fallen on tough times since. Prior to Tuesday, he had 16 goals in 48 appearances. Benteke has been capped 21 times for Belgium and was signed by Villa in 2012 from Belgian side Genk for about $10 million.
Benteke is a target of some of the top clubs in England, but it appears he’s staying put for now.
Discuss on Facebook