Welcome back, Antonio Gates.
The perennial stud and favorite target of Philip Rivers is making his return to the lineup after missing the first 4 games for a PED suspension.
Good news for Gates owners, who is still an end zone threat after scoring a dozen touchdowns in 2014. But it could spell bad news for those who have Ladarius Green. Green was on his way to a breakout campaign (14 receptions, 174 yards, 2 TDs through 3 games). Can it still happen for Green?
Here’s how I think it’ll shake out in San Diego:
Green has earned playing time and targets, no doubt about that. Gates will undoubtedly see his share, too — especially in the red zone. In the short term, both will be busy as Malcolm Floyd (concussion) and Stevie Johnson (hamstring) are banged up, leaving Keenan Allen as pretty much the only healthy receiver. Over the course of the season, though, Green and Gates could begin to start canceling each other out production-wise as the receiving corps get healthy. But if the Chargers want the best players on the field, they’ll need to find a way to get Green and Gates on the field at the same time. That’ll win them games and keep fantasy owners happy.
Remember to bookmark our fantasy football rankings 2015 page to keep up-to-date on the latest projections and rankings so you know you who to start and who to sit each week.
Here are my Week 5 tight end rankings:
1. Rob Gronkowski, Patriots, at Cowboys
2. Tyler Eifert, Bengals, vs. Seahawks
3. Jimmy Graham, Seahawks, vs. Bengals
4. Charles Clay, Bills, at Titans
5. Travis Kelce, Chiefs, vs. Bears
6. Antonio Gates, Chargers, vs. Steelers
7. Martellus Bennett, Bears, at Chiefs
8. Jason Witten, Cowboys, vs. Patriots
9. Delanie Walker, Titans, vs. Bills
10. Owen Daniels, Broncos, at Raiders
11. Richard Rodgers, Packers, vs. Rams
12. Gary Barnidge, Browns, at Ravens
13. Coby Fleener, Colts, vs. Texans
14. Heath Miller, Steelers, at Chargers
15. Larry Donnell, Giants, vs. 49ers
16. Jared Cook, Rams, at Packers
17. Ladarius Green, Chargers, vs. Steelers
18. Garrett Celek, 49ers, at Giants
19. Crockett Gillmore, Ravens, vs. Browns (questionable – calf)
20. Jordan Reed, Redskins, at Falcons (questionable – concussion)
Editor’s note: Are you playing daily fantasy yet? Heavy’s partners at DraftKings are paying out $1 billion to daily fantasy players. Sign up with DraftKings promo code HEAVY and get a $600 deposit bonus with no season-long commitment.