Wayne Lee Campbell, 43, has been identified as one of nine men killed Sunday during a shootout between rival motorcycle clubs and police at a Waco, Texas restaurant.
Here’s what you need to know about Campbell and the shooting:
1. He Was a Member of the Cossacks Motorcycle Club
Campbell, from Arlington, Texas, was a member of the Cossacks Motorcycle Club, according to his Facebook page.
He died of gunshot wounds to his head and trunk, the preliminary autopsy report shows.
His lawyer, Steven Hayden, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram he was shocked to hear his client was killed.
“I’m dumbfounded,” Hayden told the newspaper. “I thought he was a nice guy. He wasn’t much of a troublemaker.”
2. He Was One of the Club’s Road Captains
Photos of Campbell show that he was a road captain for the Cossacks MC. In motorcycle clubs, the road captain typically organizes rides or runs that the group takes together. He is responsible for the safety of the group and often acts as a club executive, deferring only to the president or vice president, during a run.
The road captain plans routes, sets the itinerary for trips, enforces club rules and leads the formation.
3. Friends Left Tributes on Campbell’s Facebook Photos
Campbell’s friends and family posted messages on his Facebook page after his death.
One woman said, “Awww….Wayne …You’ll be MISSED !! What a Absolutely Sweet Guy ..Loved His Family & his Friends …..SAD DAY ..FOR ALL WHO KNEW HIM !!!! PRAYERS SENT !!!!”
Another said, “RIP you are already so missed! I am so happy we got to meet you! Fly high.”
4. The Shooting Remains Under Investigation
The investigation into the shooting is continuing. What started as an argument between bikers turned deadly as shooting broke out. Police were already in the area after learning of the potential for violence during the biker meeting and responded within seconds. Officers also opened fire, and according to CNN, at least four of the victims were killed by police.
Police have yet to determine who fired the fatal shoots that killed each of the nine men.
5. 8 Other Men From the 2 Clubs Were Killed in the Shooting
According to KWTX, the names of the victims, along with the causes of their deaths, are:
- Jesus Delgado Rodriguez – 65 – Gunshot wounds to the head and trunk.
- Jacob Lee Rhyne – 39 – Gunshot wounds to the neck.
- Richard Vincent Kirschner, Jr. – 47 – Unspecified gunshot wounds.
- Richard Matthew Jordan, III – 31 – Gunshot wounds to the head.
- Daniel Raymond Boyett – 44 – Gunshot wounds to the head.
- Matthew Mark Smith – 27 – Gunshot wounds to the trunk.
- Manuel Issac Rodriguez – 40 – Unspecified gunshot wounds.
- Charles Wayne Russell – 46- Gunshot wounds to the chest.