President Donald Trump is the son of a successful, but controversial, New York City real estate developer and a Scottish immigrant.
Trump, 69, has four siblings and has been married three times. He is a father of five children, ranging from his youngest, Barron, 10, to his oldest, Donald Jr., 39, and has eight grandchildren.
Here’s what you need to know about Trump’s family:
1. His Father Started the Company That Became a Real Estate Empire
Donald Trump is the son of real estate developer Fred Trump and Mary Anne MacLeod Trump, an immigrant from Scotland. His grandfather, Frederich Trump, immigrated to North America from Germany.
Fred Trump, who died in 1999 at the age of 93, was a controversial figure during his life and after his death, noted for his success, but also for his alleged racial discrimination against potential tenants.
In 1927, Fred Trump started Elizabeth Trump & Son Co., the real estate company that would become The Trump Organization, according to his New York Times obituary. He began building houses in Queens, New York, and then constructed barracks and apartments for U.S. Navy personnel along the East Coast during World War II.
He continued to build the company, constructing low-income apartments and row houses in Brooklyn and Queens. Donald Trump joined the company in 1968, when he was 22. Fred Trump lent his son money and allowed him to go into the real estate business in Manhattan, according to the Times.
“It was good for me,” Donald Trump told the Times. “You know, being the son of somebody, it could have been competition to me. This way, I got Manhattan all to myself!”
2. He Is One of 5 Children & His Sister is a Federal Judge
Trump grew up as one of five children. Three of his four siblings are still alive. His brother, Fred Jr., was an alcoholic and died in 1981 at the age of 43, according to the New York Times.
He has another brother, Robert Trump, is 67, and is retired, living in New York City.
His sister, Elizabeth Trump Grau, works in the banking industry.
His most well known sibling is his sister, Maryanne Trump Barry, a Senior United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
3. He Married His 3rd Wife Melania Knauss in 2005
Trump has been married three times.
He married his first wife, Ivana Zelníčková, a Czech-born model and athlete, in 1977. They divorced in 1992.
Trump then married actress Marla Maples in 1993. They had been involved in an affair while he was still married to Ivana. They divorced in 1999.
He married his current wife, Slovenian model Melania Knauss, in 2005.
4. He Has 5 Children With His 3 Wives
Trump has five children, three sons and two daughters, ranging in age from 9 to 38:
- Donald Trump Jr., 39: Donald Jr. is the oldest of the five children. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and is an executive vice president in the Trump Organization. He is married to model and designer Vanessa Haydon Trump and has five young children. His mother is Ivana Trump.
- Ivanka Trump, 35: Trump’s oldest daughter, Ivanka Trump also graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and is an executive vice president in the Trump Organization. She is also an author and runs a jewelry and other merchandise line. She is married to Jared Kushner. They have two young children and she is pregnant with a third. Her mother is Ivana Trump.
- Eric Trump, 33: The third child from Donald’s first marriage, Eric Trump attended Georgetown University and is an executive vice president of the Trump Organization with his older siblings. He also started a winery and runs a charity, the Eric Trump Foundation. He is married to Lara Yunaska.
- Tiffany Trump, 22: Trump’s only child with his second wife, Marla Maples, Tiffany Trump has been seen on the campaign trail with her father. She attends the University of Pennsylvania and has pursued a singing career.
- Barron Trump, 10: The youngest of the Trump children, Barron is Donald’s only child with his current wife, Melania Knauss.
5. He Has 8 Grandchildren — His Daughter Ivanka Has 3 Kids & His Son Donald Has 5
Trump has eight grandchildren, including a newborn grandson, Theodore James, his daughter, Ivanka, gave birth to on March 27.
His son, Donald Trump Jr., has five children with his wife, Vanessa. They have two daughters, Kai Madison, 8, and Chloe Sophia, 1. They also have three sons, Donald John Trump III, 6; Tristan Milos, 4; and Spencer Frederick, 3.
Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, have two other children: Arabella Rose, 4, and Joseph Frederick, 2.