A new update is available for the PC version of Prey. The update is available through Steam as a Beta update and it’s designed to prevent your save files from becoming corrupted.
IGN said their save file became corrupted and that resulted in them giving Prey a 4 in their review. Since this patch is in Beta, a few things are different and it is currently an optional download.
The public-beta-patch branch shares the same game saves as the default branch. If a previously corrupted Save is fixed by switching to the public-beta-patch branch, switching back to the default branch will bring back the chance of corruption (this issue to be fixed in a future patch). If a save file has been previously edited manually, it may not function properly. Deletion of level.dat files may cause game progression to not function properly.
How to access the Steam Beta:
- Log into Steam.
- Right Click on Prey in your Library.
- Select Properties.
- Select Betas.
- A drop down menu will appear. Select public-beta-patch.
- Select OK.
- Wait for the game to update.
- When done, Prey[public-beta-patch] should appear in our Library.
Bethesda encourages players who run into issues to let them know in the Bethesda forums. Although the patch is focusing on the save game corruptions, there are a slew of other things that are being fixed with it. Here are the full patch notes:
- Fix to prevent Save games from becoming corrupted. Fix also returns corrupted Save games to uncorrupted state.
—–>Also addresses some additional crashes on map loads.
- Hacking during the Power Plant reboot no longer causes the reboot to fail to complete.
- Fix to prevent the Player from becoming stuck in certain circumstances.
- Nightmares will now always search for the player once spawned.
- Saving and Loading PC settings will now save correctly for users with special characters in their Windows usernames.
- Numerous fixes to GLOO to prevent breaking and bypassing collision, prevent corpses from passing through walls and floors.
- Updated Recycling to prevent infinite material creation.
- Fix for occasional combat freeze when attacking Phantoms
- Kaspar’s objective indicator should no longer disappear.
- Updates to audio mix to adjust volume of music, audio logs, cutscenes.
Have you run into any problems before this patch? All we have heard on the PC front was smooth sailing when it comes to performance. Let us know in the comments. Also, be sure to check out what we though of Prey in our review earlier this week. See you on Talos I.