Boston bomber suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was charged today, and the official criminal complaint is full of details and revelations about the case. Here are some of the most telling. Read the full document above.
1. The bombs used in the Boston bombing are described as “low-grade” and filled with nails and BB’s.
2. Tamerlan is referred to as “Bomber 1” and his brother, Tamerlan, is “Bomber 2.” (Before they were ID’d they were “Suspect 1” and “Suspect 2.”
3. He isn’t charged with any connection to the murder of MIT police officer Sean Collier. There is no mention of Collier’s death in the complaint.
4. When he was apprehended, he had gun shot wounds to his hands, legs, torso, neck and head.
5. On his person were a college ID, and numerous credit cards.
7. A “large pyrotechnic,” white hat, black jacket and BBs were found in his dorm room.
8. The victim of the carjacking in Cambridge describes the chilling exact words of the bomber who hijacked him:
The man pointed a firearm at the victim and stated, “Did you hear about the Boston explosion?” and “I did that.” The man removed the magazine from his gun and showed the victim that it had a bullet in it, and then re-inserted the magazine. The man then stated, “I am serious.”
9. The carjacking bomber then picked up the other suspect and they loaded something in the trunk.
10. The carjacked prisoner escaped when they stopped to get gas, after visiting an ATM to withdraw from the victim’s account.