United Airlines chief executive officer Jeff Smisek has stepped down amid a federal corruption investigation involving the airline and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the New York Times reports.
“The departures announced today are in connection with the company’s previously disclosed internal investigation related to the federal investigation associated with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey,” the company said in a statement to the Times. “The investigations are ongoing and the company continues to cooperate with the government.”
Two other executives also stepped down on Tuesday.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. The Feds Are Looking Into Whether United Airlines Improperly Tried to Influence Port Authority Officials
2. Smisek Has Been United’s CEO Since the Company Merged With Continental in 2010
3. He Began Working at United in 1995 & Became Its President in 2008
4. He Worked as a Partner at a Texas Law Firm Before Moving to the Airline Industry
5. He Is Married With 2 Children